Quote of the week:

"The Lord doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called"


Monday, May 21, 2012

Week 42, Villa Diego, Rosario, Argentina


Hey! 

This week flew by like always and we're doing good here in Villa Diego. We only have 2 more weeks of the transfer, it's so crazy. This week we taught a lot of lessons and met some great people. Miguel, our old guy is going to get baptized this Saturday so pray for him! He's such a great example to me of determination. It's really hard for him to walk and stuff but he always comes to church. He's such a stud. He loves the classes and reading because it makes him feel good. I know that this is the effect that the gospel has on us. These things are here to bless us and not to load us down and feel like we cant escape but they really make us better people and invite more blessings into our lives!
 
This morning I did something really lame. We finally have an oven that works so I got excited and made my blueberry muffins! But we dont have a muffin pan so I decided to make a blueberry cake. So I put it in the oven and checked it awhile later and the bottom was burning, so I lifted the rack one thing higher and when I went to put the pan back in the oven I got so excited that I forgot something....the oven mitts. I picked it up and then realized that I was 'burning myself so I freaked out and didn't know what to do and then dropped it onto the oven door and quickly put my hands under water. I burnt my index, and middle finger on both hands and both my thumbs. It hurt really bad! It was interesting though because it was hurting after for hours and hours I kept thinking about all the pain that Christ suffered in the Garden of Gethsemani and on the cross. I've been studying the atonement and have learned that not only did he suffer for our sins but also every physical and spiritual pain that any human being has ever felt. 

In Alma 7:11.... 

And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.

This scripture is talking about the sufferings of Christ but doesn't say sins. He suffered every single PAIN. I know that we are never alone in our stuggles and pains but that Christ is always there with His hand outreached. We just need to apply it to our lives and we will be comforted. Everyday we have the chance to come closer to Christ and I hope that we are.
 
You know your a missionary when you hurt something and you start thinking about Christ. haha anyways I love you guys so much and thanks for the updates!
 
LOVE,
Elder Hjelmstad

Jackie- you are officially, "the dog lady" 
Jenee- Powder Puff MVP! great job you stud!
Jaden- You dont need surgery! woohoo! now get healthy!
Mom- Keep practicing your argentine kitchen skills and I'll be your judge when I get home. haha
Dad- another seminar. good times with father-son campout.
Grandpa- GO LAKERS! haha but if we lose I want OKC. They're my 2nd fav team.
Grandma Cassie- Good luck on the plant business!
Grandma Mary- It was great hearing your voice too! Have fun taking care of those dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment