Quote of the week:

"The Lord doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called"


Monday, May 7, 2012

Week 40, Villa Diego, Rosario Argentina




Elder Hjelmstad and his new companion. 

"He has a strong testimony. 

My favorite thing about him, is how he just continually sings."





Josh Finally gets to see some of Argentina!!!  
This is his first monument.


"We paid three pesos to go up to the top and look at the view. WAY COOL!"








FAMILY! 

I’m super excited to talk to you guys on Sunday! It's kind of cool because I forgot what day Mothers day was and thought it was on the 20th and then I found out that it’s super close! woohoo! So this week was good. Not great, but definitely getting better. We’re in the process of finding people to teach but it’s all good. I’m excited for this branch! They are all great people and willing to serve. I never ever realized the importance of members in missionary work. If the members are excited and have the vision of a missionary, everybody is happier and more blessed! This Sunday we brought an old man to church. He loved it! We will see what happens with him. We have many people with baptism dates so pray that they progress!! Thanks!

This week we had a few funny things happen. On Tuesday, we were doing contacts and I presented us at a door and when I asked if we could share a message about Jesus Christ she said, "Oh the taxis are down that way." and pointed down the street. hahaha I thought I could speak Spanish alright by now but I don’t think I’ll ever sound like a native. haha
Second story: We stopped by a little shop to see if they had something and a guy (drunk) was standing at the door and mumbled something to me but I couldn’t hear. He then repeated himself and I heard "cmnby" and then one more time he said, "cmon baby." hahahah I started busting up laughing and then walked in. Here everybody knows little phrases in English from movies and stuff and sometimes they can be really funny.

Today for p-day we made chorizos (basically bratwursts) on the grill. We made a fire and then put the grill on top. They turned out pretty good! Then we went to Rosario to see the flag monument. It’s in our zone so we got permission. Super cool monument! We paid three pesos to go up to the top and look at the view. WAY COOL! It’s been a good p-day! Another great thing that happened this week was MAIL!! Big thanks to Lindsey, Lexi, Addison, the Pauba young men, Elder Davis, and Elder Miller. I loved every single one! I promise I’ll write back as soon as I can!

This week I was trying to think of how I can better focus myself in my mission and become a better missionary. I decided to start to study the Atonement of Jesus Christ to better understand it. I’ve only been studying it for 4 days and it’s literally amazing. Something that was even greater was the talk that Lexi sent me by Brad Wilcox called, "His grace is sufficient." Thanks Lexi! I really loved how he explained that the Atonement that Jesus did wasn’t to fill the gap or make the difference so that we can live with Heavenly Father and our families forever but it was to FILL US, and make ALL THE DIFFERENCE. His Atonement isn’t just something that we apply at the end of our lives when we’ve done all that we can do, but it is to help us every single day, to change and become a better person. It is the way we can be transformed into a perfect person like we are asked to become. It is continuous and eternal. And EVERY PERSON needs it. 2 Nephi 2:6-8. We can only gain happiness thought the Atonement of Jesus Christ! Pres Uchtdorf said that the, "infinite power of the Atonement will purify, cleanse, and refine our spirits and characters until we become the men we are meant to become." We were sent to Earth to learn to become like God. Perfect. We’re not earning our way to heaven, but Learning our way to heaven. I’m so grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the effect that it has on our lives.

I love you all and I’m so excited to talk to you guys!

Elder Hjelmstad!

Shout outs:

Lindsey- keep having fun working at the mtc! haha and tell Kellie I said hi... and tell her to write me.

Addison- study abroad! woohoo! and good luck with the bussiness school application.

Lexi- Thanks for the update on all the people married and engaged. haha thats crazy! and thanks for the talk! 

Pauba young men- Thanks so much! Keep up the good work!
  



oh and by the way I’m district leader now! I forgot to tell you. Crazy stuff.  (But don't put it in my letter.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment