Quote of the week:

"The Lord doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called"


Monday, January 23, 2012

Week 25 Santa Fe, Argentina

Alrightyyyy, things are about to get interesting...

Elder Hjelmstad is going to train a newbie!! yupppp! Gunna be crazy! I got a call on Wed night from the assistants to the President and they told me that I had been called to be a trainer! I couldn’t believe it! There are 27 new missionaries coming from the MTC on Feb 1! I’m super scared and super excited at the same time. haha but it's going be fun and totally crazy! We don’t know where yet so I could stay here in Santa Fe or go somewhere else but we think I’m staying. But ya! Crazy!

We had a training meeting with the Mission President on Friday and it was amazing! We talked a lot about using the spirit in everything. In the scriptures it talks about how we must "Teach by the spirit, or no other way." It's true! Most of the people that we talk to have never had spiritual experiences in their lives before. We have the responsibility to help them feel, know, and do what the Lord wants for them! I’m so grateful for this sacred responsibility. We also talked about the power of a testimony and how that no one can fight against a testimony. We talked about how in order to gain an opinion, or testimony, we first need to hear the opinions, or hear people testify of what they know is true. I want all of you guys to know that I know that this church is true. I know because I have prayed, read the Book of Mormon, and felt the Holy Spirit testify that it’s true. I know that anybody can find out for himself or herself that it’s true too. I know that this message brings light and hope into the lives of those that accept it. I know that by obeying the commandments of God, we are happy. I know that families can be together forever. I’m so grateful for the chance I have to be in Argentina to share this message with everybody!

So this week we did service and it was so funny. There’s this old single lady that’s super funny and she asked us if we could go trim her bushes and trees and so of course we said yes! We showed up and she had a dull AXE and a MACHETE!!! haha Elder Rivera got the machete and I got the dang axe. haha It was so funny. We forgot the camera though :( But yeah I’m never going to forget trimming shrubs with an axe. ha only in Argentina.

Other funny thing this week was this week in Sacrament meeting they asked if I could lead the sacrament hymn. I said sure why not! problem...no piano. Usually I just look at the hymn first to remind me how it is in English and then sing in Spanish but...I forget to figure out what hymn it was before I got up. I had no clue how it went. It was HORRIBLE cuz everybody was lost through the 3 verses. Oops! I felt bad cuz I totally destroyed it. The members were laughing at me. haha

I found a scripture this week that I love. It’s different because it makes you think. It’s Helaman 12:6 It says…

“Behold, they do not desire that the Lord their God, who hath created them, should rule and reign over them; notwithstanding his great goodness and his mercy towards them, they do set at naught his counsels, and they will not that he should be their guide.”

I was thinking about this a lot... about the times when I ignored the advice given to me, or when people tried to help me and I didn't listen. I have really gained a really strong testimony of the commandments and all the guidelines that The Lord has provided us. Just like this scripture says, God, in His great goodness and mercy, has created these things to help us, but we "will not that He should be our guide." I know that we're happiest when we obey the commandments! I know that God loves us so much and wants the best for us!

Last thing....

We found a COCKROACH this week. Not cool. Were going to buy some raid to make sure there isn’t any more of them. I freaked out like a girl.. I mean... like a missionary.... haha

So if anybody wants to write me through DEARELDER.COM that’s fine with me :)

I love you all and hope that all is good at home!

Les quiero,

Elder Hjelmstad

No comments:

Post a Comment