Quote of the week:

"The Lord doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called"


Monday, January 16, 2012

week 24 Santa Fe, Argentina


Last monday (our p-day) we were hangin out in the pinch and it was SUPER HOT and the cold water from the shower was coming out hot. So I had the idea to fill up buckets of water and pour them on me.
I miss swimming!!


This is my desk top


FAMILIA!!

Alrighty! Thank you everybody that wrote me this week. :) I tried sending a video but it didn't work. Just pictures this week! (Hopefully they work.)

So this week went by really fast! And Dee´s more than half way done now! CRAZINESS. But I'm doing good! Our area is a little slow again but that just means we have a lot of work to do! But were teaching a guy right now that is a walking miracle! Ezekiel is 21 and let us come in, we taught him about the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ and he accepted the invitation to be baptized if he received an answer through prayer and the Book of Mormon. He told us that he wanted to quit smoking drugs and wanted to find out if the church was true! SWEET! We went back on Tuesday and he had read 162 pages of the Book of Mormon and hadn't smoked!! Sadly, he couldnt come to church, but he asked us all about it and what we learned and everything. We realized that the people that listen to us are the people that are humble enough to change. Here, just like in the U.S., nobody wants to change but when people let us in and listen with intent, that's when it's different. Anyways, we went to a baptismal service with him last night and he loved it! A good ending to an alright day! I was kinda bummed because nobody came that we invited and committed to come to church. The talks were about families and I may or may not have cried when we sang "Families can be Together Forever" at the end. haha but since nobody came to church I started to think about how important it is to go to church. I think going to church everyweek is like going to the gas station, to refill us with the strength we need to keep going! But the truth is, that it's even more than that. We should go to church to receive revelation and the answers to our prayers. I heard once that Church is like 3 letters from God. If God sent you three letters, would you want to open them? YES!!!! It's the same with the 3 meetings we have at church! 3 topics that we can really gain from! We need to have a learning mindset when we go to church. As humans, we forget a lot of things, and often have to remind ourselves. I love the scriptures, like Helaman 5:12 that says "REMEMBER, REMEMBER, that it is upon the rock of your Redeemer that you must build your foundation." We need to remind ourselves of the promises we've made with God and all that we have learned! Every week at church we get a little reminder of what we need to fix. I know I have a lot of stuff that I need to remember.

I'm trying to think of something funny that happened this week.....oh yeah! Sooo yesterday at the baptismal service we were waiting for the guy that got baptized to get changed and it was kinda awkwardly silent. So I decided to play the piano a little, for the time being. Then Bro. Niz asked me if I knew how to play a hymn and I told him I knew number 15, so he said alrighty were going to sing it right now. (I was really regretting quitting piano in this moment.) We started off and it was alright.... and then I was missing a few notes here and there...and then some keys don't work...and the people dont know how to sing...and the song has 4 verses. Basically...train wreck. I was dying laughing the whole time when I was playing the piano. haha oops. I would try to join them singing but then would distract myself and mess up. hahahaha good times.


So, it's pretty dang hot here and we dont have air conditioning. If you open the windows the mosquitos eat you alive (there are no screens on the windows) and we only have one fan for 4 missionaries because the other elders fan broke. We decided to move our mattresses downstairs so that we could all enjoy the fan. haha oh and on Saturday, I counted 38 mosquito bites. Kinda a lot. But if you don't touch them you're good. Just can't think about them. Like 25 of them are on my ankles cuz when we teach people at night the mosquitos love my blood in my ankles. Yup.

Alrighty, well I don't really have anything else! I love you all sooooooo much and
I miss you tons! Have fun in the cold :) I realized, I'm living the endless summer!

LOVE YOU!!
Elder Hjelmstad

No comments:

Post a Comment