Quote of the week:

"The Lord doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called"


Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Week 75, Venado Tuerto, Argentina


Jan 5th is called REYES or KINGS to celebrate the wise men that sought out the baby Jesus


Week one of 2013…. check.

This week was pretty good! We saw some progress in some of our investigators and met some great people that we hope to help and teach. Here in Argentina they have an extra holiday on Jan 5th called REYES or KINGS to celebrate the wise men that sought out the baby Jesus. It’s for the kids, so the branch had an activity and a ton of people came, so that was super great. A few non-members came too and we now have a few appointments with them. woohoo! :)

So...funny thing this week... So, I had told you guys that we have bikes in this area, which is way sweet. My companions bike is normal but mine is kind of old... alright, it’s way old, but it works...or I should say worked. Haha!!! We were going to the stake center and we had to pass through a little park but the park had a sign that said you couldn’t ride bikes in it, so we went along-side the park but then all of the sudden there was a fence in the road so... I think to myself...I can do a bunny-hop and jump on the sidewalk.... no problem! hahaha So I get ready....Clear the curb but when I come in for the landing… The front tire just totally gives in and I go flying forward. I start BUSTING up laughing because there are people EVERYWHERE in this park. SOOO FUNNY. I didn’t get hurt at all and I don’t know how it didn’t. haha mini miracle. So then I went walking to the church with my bike in two pieces. ha good times. Luckily the branch president has an extra bike so I’m using that for now.

This week when I was talking to Elder Larson we got talking about how sad it is to see people reject the gospel, when they need it so much. Elder Larson nailed it when he said. "It’s just so sad and frustrating at the same time because they need it SO BAD! They have no idea. Just letting us in the door and listening and applying our message will bring them more happiness than they can even imagine. I can’t even describe how essential it is!"

Today I was reading one of my favorite talks by Elder Jeffrey Holland called "Safety For The Soul."  The whole talk is really bold and I loved this one quote, "I testify that one cannot come to full faith in this latter-day work—and thereby find the fullest measure of peace and comfort in these, our times—until he or she embraces the divinity of the Book of Mormon and the Lord Jesus Christ, of whom it testifies. " Think about that a second. It’s bold but I know that it’s true. God has restored His church because He loves us SO MUCH. 

To read the talk please go to:


Finishing touch... Pres. Uchtdorf said this...

"God does not need us to love Him. But oh, how we need to love God!

For what we love determines what we seek.

What we seek determines what we think and do.

What we think and do determines who we are—and who we will become."

I love being a missionary and being a member of God’s restored church.

LOVE YOU ALL!!!!
Elder Hjelmstad

P.S. So that’s exciting that Lexi’s in the MTC and Addison’s going to New York on her mission!!! Sweet!! You’re both going to be amazing missionaries!!! I’m so happy for you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment