Quote of the week:

"The Lord doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called"


Monday, October 17, 2011

Week 11 Santa Fe, Argentina

Another week in Argentina! Crazy stuff! The week goes by so dang fast cuz were constantly doing stuff.

Happy Mothers day Momma! haha on Sunday it was mothers day here so we got to tell all the moms "FELIZ DIA"! I asked if I could call home... they said no. haha but a little over 2 months until Christmas! But with all the families we visited we shared Alma 57:21 “Yea, and they did obey and observe to perform every word of command with exactness; yea, and even according to their faith it was done unto them; and I did remember the words which they said unto me that their Mothers had taught them.” I’m so grateful for Mothers and the influence they have on the world. I learned once that "Behind every great man is a great woman." I’m so thankful for you mom and the love, service, and care that you have shown me. I was thinking about you all day yesterday!

k so First off my area is great! I’m going to die in the summer because of the heat and the mosquitoes, but its good! We walk a TON. It literally takes us 35 min to walk to the farthest part of our area. My companion said that it’s the biggest he’s been in. Since it’s so big we have to plan where were going to go and "find" people around where our appts are. We don’t have that many investigators right now which is really a bummer but were working with the ward and trying some new finding techniques so we can teach some people! Some ideas are an ENGLISH class, movie night, and FHEs with families. This week is gunna be better! One of our investigators is Diego. His wife and 2 of his kids are baptized so we’ve been trying to teach him but his schedule is all crazy so it's a little hard but he’s a really great guy. The only problem is that he’s not married to his wife! haha so we have to help him get married first, and then get baptized!

Oh so this week we had a special zone conference with Elder Arnold of the Seventy! It was so good! I loved every single second of it! He talked a lot about obedience, which was really good. He also talked about how we need to give our HEART to the Lord in these 2 years. We don’t need to focus on anything but the work. Every second of every day should be devoted to Him. I know I can do a better job at this. I find myself daydreaming about memories or just random stuff. Elder Arnold also said that we need to be bold and bear testimony at every chance we get. We need to look for every opportunity to teach. And our purpose is to baptize, to help people invite the happiness of the gospel into their lives. Overall it was really good and I learned that I need to be smarter with my time and give it my all. I LOVE studying the scriptures and I’ve been reading Jesus the Christ too.

My thought this week is on Matthew 11:28-29 “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls”. I think this we so cool because it says that we need to come unto Christ to feel peace and rest. I know that all of our pains and struggles can be comforted though the atonement of Christ. In Alma 7:11 we read, “And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people”. I also found it interesting that Christ says that we need to take upon ourselves HIS yoke, or His gospel to feel this joy! I’m so thankful that we have the gospel! I’m a firm believer that the gospel doesn’t limit us, but instead enables us. If we do all we can to keep the commandments and live in the way that Heavenly Father would have us live, we can witness the happiness that comes from it. In Mosiah 2:41 we read, “And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it”!

Spanish update.... My spanish is coming along! I’m starting to understand things that I didn’t and can understand most stuff when we talk about the church but when people are just talking I have NO IDEA. haha but I have hope that with time and consistently learning words and grammar, I’ll be just fine. In the lessons I can fully participate and my comp and I switch off and we do pretty good but we feel that we can do better so were trying to incorporate more examples and questions to help the people we teach.

Something fun that we did this week was service! I love service! We helped a member paint a room that he just built to add on to his house. I took pics! :) He´s a really great guy and I just listened to my comp and him speak spanish for a good 2 hours. Spanish lesson! haha

The food isnt that bad at all yet! Besides the heart or liver last week we usually have pasta or milanesa! Down here they’re on the Siesta Schedule! Which means that from 2-5pm everybody is sleeping or eating. They’re lunch is our dinner! Dinner for them is like a little snack before bed! haha so all our appts are lunch appts. Usually at the apt I eat either cereal or oranges. They have cereal and its not bad! and they have oats too! I love it! Dad I hope you’re proud! My health is doing just fine! I have a little cold but my knees are doing fine!

Overall I’m doing great down here! I’m choosing to be happy! That really is so powerful.

I love you so much!

¡Les amo tanto!

Your missionary,

Elder Hjelmstad

No comments:

Post a Comment