Quote of the week:

"The Lord doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called"


Thursday, August 18, 2011

Week 3 MTC

Doctrine and Covenants 130: 20-21

20 There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated-
21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated.




FAMILIA!!

DANG! I cannot believe I've been gone for 3 weeks already! Totally insane. K so this week was great! I'm totally in the swing of things here at the MTC. Never seems like we get enough sleep though. haha but its fine. The language has been comin along slowly but surely. The tenses are stickin a little bit more each day and my vocab is increasing as well.

We taught 3 different lessons to our pretend "investigators." I always get wayyyy nervous right before them because I wanna do good but once we get in the room the spirit just carries the conversation and Spanish comes and it's just so amazing. We are teaching Pablo and Rodrigo right now. We've taught Pablo the whole first lesson and got him to Pray for us out loud, which was so awesome because he said he'd never do that. Rodrigo is praying about if he believes in God, so we'll see where that goes. It's fun and challenging! Learning to teach in spanish is so much different than english, cuz its ALL basics, nothing too crazy cuz I don't know the words to elaborate! haha

So my district is so awesome. 2 of us are going to Rosario, 2 to Mendoza, Argentina and 4 to Asuncion North in Paraguay. We just had 3 Elders from our district leave this morning to switch over to the Dominican Republic MTC though. We have a ton of fun! They are all really great guys and it's fun cuz were all in the same boat for the most part. I'm really close to Elder Thompson, he's from Boise. We have a lot in common, so we talk a lot. haha We both miss our families like crazy! I would allow him to write Jenee... but hes got a girl. haha So ya, everybody thinks Jenees cute. It's hilarioussss. hahah

k my favorite part of the day is GYM because we get to run around instead of being inside! I play either bball or futbol. I somehow score every time we play soccer. TOTALLY LUCK every time. haha but but it's way fun! On tues we we're playin futbol and Elder Christiansen, my comp, fell and hurt his wrist so WE GOT TO GO OFF CAMPUS! haha We walked down the street to the BYU health clinic to get an x-ray. He's fine! Just swollen so that’s good!

K the devotionals were SO GOOD as usual. On Sunday, we learned about the definition of a successful missionary. He had a bunch of different definitions, but what I got out of it was, that a successful missionary does his absolute best at all times to work hard and be a tool in the Lords hands. He shared some great examples of successful missionaries, like the sons of Mosiah and Alma. The other devotional stressed that we are Children of our Heavenly Father, who loves us, and we love Him. He talked about how blessed we are to have a Heavenly Father that wants us to succeed and has provided a way for us to return and live with Him. We're so lucky to be able to pray to Him and feel of His spirit. I was reminded of the quote, "Two people can do anything as long as one is God." as long as we obey His commandments, He will bless us. d&c 130:20-21. I think... we should have an apostle coming soon! Oh and read the Hymn, Lead kindly light and Nearer my God to thee.<--- That’s my favorite one right now. :)

haha So I've still been readin the Book of Mormon like crazy. I LOVE IT. It is such a comforter in my life right now. I don't want it to end! I love learning from them and applying them to my life. We can all liken the scriptures to our lives if we read and apply them. 3rd Nephi is amazing and how it describes Christ coming to the Americas and visiting His "other sheep." Everyone should read it.

Oh so my companion, Elder Christiansen is also going to Rosario and Elder Lynn is going there too. Elder Lynn left our district 2 weeks ago though so we're not a trio, I think I told you that but I dk. Oh, I saw Jordan Brown and Jon a bunch this week! I seriously know so many people here it's awesome!

And YAY KELLIE!!!! I'm so happy for you! WRITEEEEE MEEEEE!!! Dear Elder is awesome!

Thank you so much for all of your support and everything that you do for me!!

I love and miss every single one of you!

Love,

Elder Hjelmstad

p.s. I don’t get dear elders on sat or sun, so it's either Fri before 11 or Monday. Just letting you know.

LOVE YOU so much and miss you a ton!


Lead, Kindly Light

Lead, Kindly Light, amid then circling gloom: Lead me on!

The night is dark, and I am far from home; Lead thou me on!

Keep thou my feet; I do not ask to see

The distant scene- one step enough for me.


I was not ever thus, nor prayed that thou Shouldst lead me on.

I loved to choose and see my path; but now, Lead me on.

I loved the garnish day, and, spite of fears,

Pride ruled my will. Remember not past years.


So long thy power hath blest me, Sure it still Will lead me on

O'er moor and fen, o'er crag and torrent, till The night is gone.

And with the morn those angel faces smile,

Which I have loved long since, and lost awhile.


No comments:

Post a Comment