Quote of the week:

"The Lord doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called"


Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Week 72, Venado Tuerto, Argentina


It's almost Christmas!!!!  I just found out we get to use Skype (camera and all!) on Christmas day!!!! Woohoo!!! I’m so excited!!! It’s getting close!!

So this week was great! I got a letter from Tawny (THANKS!!!!) and Lexi (THANKSS!!!!). I love getting letters and seeing how you are all doing. It’s so crazy to hear about all the girls going on missions! CRAZYYY! Supposedly there’s like 20 sister missionaries coming to the mission in April so that’s cool. In my district, there’s a companionship of sisters and they’re great. I want to talk to the sisters missionaries that taught Mom and Dad!

Anyways, so this week we went out to a little town called Murphy. It’s suppperrrr small and so cute. Seriously out of the movies. We technically have Murphy in our area but we have to take a bus out there and it’s somewhat expensive to we only go when we have referrals. We went on Wednesday to get to know it and then the branch president called us and asked if we could give a talk so we said yes. We both spoke on missionary work and it went really good! My companion is so great. He got up there all nervous but did awesome. I had some scriptures to share and just started talking and before I knew it I had talked too long....I’m officially turning into Dad. I used some scriptures in Alma 5 that talk about our change of heart.

Alma 5:13 And behold, he preached the word unto your fathers, and a mighty change was also wrought in their hearts, and they humbled themselves and put their trust in the true and living God. And behold, they were faithful until the end; therefore they were saved.

14 And now behold, I ask of you, my brethren of the church, have ye spiritually been born of God? Have ye received his image in your countenances? Have ye experienced this mighty change in your hearts?

I talked about this change being what happened before we get baptized. At one time we have this change. For some people it’s big and others not so big, but there definitely were some changes that took place. But baptism is not the end, it’s just the door. It’s like getting through the gates at Disneyland and staying next to the Mickey garden in the front! There’s so much more to enjoy! Sadly, often times people get stuck there and it’s like if they hadn’t gone in at all!  In Alma 5:33-34 it says...

33 Behold, he sendeth an invitation unto all men, for the arms of mercy are extended towards them, and he saith: Repent, and I will receive you. 

34 Yea, he saith: Come unto me and ye shall partake of the fruit of the tree of life; yea, ye shall eat and drink of the bread and the waters of life freely;

We are the arms or hands of God on the earth. We must invite these people to partake of the fruit whether they already tasted a portion or haven’t tasted it at all. We must do it because we love them! Love is the motive. It is my hope that we can give something to Christ this Christmas.  Serve others because after all...we're serving God. I'll end with this....

 35 For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
 37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
 38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
 39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
 40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my bretheren, ye have done it unto me.
Love you all!!
Elder Hjelmstad

No comments:

Post a Comment